Well done for taking the time to research proper goldfish care!
You’ve taken the first step to helping your goldfish live longer, so read on or jump straight to a goldfish care article using the links below.
- Goldfish care mistakes
- Essential goldfish keeping kit
- All about tank size
- Cycling a goldfish tank
- Keeping other fish with goldfish
- Air pumps
- Water changes
- Tank temperature
- Breeding goldfish
Unfortunately, many people don’t bother to find out about proper goldfish care, and think that goldfish can simply be kept in small, unfiltered bowls. This is one of the biggest goldfish care mistakes new goldfish keepers make. Often, this isn’t the fault of the person caring for the goldfish, but the fault of pet shop staff.
The sad fact is that there are far too many pet shops still selling small bowls (some places have banned this, but unfortunately it’s still legal in many countries) and far too many ill-informed pet shop employees that give very bad advice to inexperienced goldfish keepers. This inevitably leads to poor goldfish care, goldfish living very short lives and some very unhappy fishkeepers.
So, whether this is your first experience of keeping goldfish, or whether you’ve made some of these common mistakes in the past: well done for putting the effort in to learn about goldfish care and get things right this time!
The expert goldfish care guide…
1. What not to do: 12 goldfish care mistakes new goldfish keepers make
Learn from other people’s goldfish care mistakes and avoid making them yourself, with this list of 12 mistakes new goldfish keepers make. Read more…
2. Essential kit: what you need to keep goldfish
To keep goldfish healthy and happy, you of course need the right equipment. This includes essential kit such as a big tank, a filter and a supply of nutritious food. Check out our recommended products here and make sure you have everything you need!
3. Tank Size: Do goldfish need a big tank?
In order to take care of goldfish properly, you need to ensure that they have a suitable place to live. To do this, you’ll need to buy an appropriate tank. Goldfish need a lot of room so you should buy a big tank, not a small bowl. Read more…
4. Tank Setup: Cycling a goldfish tank
5. Tank Mates: Keeping other fish with goldfish
6. Filtration: Do goldfish need a filter?
As well as buying a big enough tank, you also need to ensure that your goldfish’s water is properly filtered. There are a wide range of internal and external filters available and you need to pick the right filter in order to properly care for your goldfish. Read more…
7. Air pumps: Do goldfish need an air pump?
We’ve already found out that you should definitely add a filter to your goldfish tank. But what about an air pump? What is the difference between a filter and an air pump? And is an air pump necessary for goldfish? Read more…
8. Goldfish Food: What do goldfish eat?
Understanding what goldfish eat and what you should and shouldn’t feed your fish is an absolutely essential part of proper goldfish care. This is because feeding the wrong type – or the wrong amount – of goldfish food can be very bad for your fish! Read more…
What are the pros and cons of feeding your goldfish sinking pellets versus flakes that float on the surface of the water? Read more…
In the wild, a goldfish’s diet will vary throughout the year as temperatures change and as breeding season is reached. So, what should you feed your goldfish in spring, summer, fall and winter? Read more…
It’s important to offer your goldfish a balanced diet and feed them more than just flakes and pellets. In this article, we look at the various treat available to add a bit of variety to your goldfish’s diet. Read more…
Like all animals, goldfish need a varied diet in order to stay healthy. Feeding your goldfish the same pellets or flakes all the time may mean they don’t get all the nutrition they need. So, why not try feeding them these live or frozen foods instead? Read more…
9. Water Changes: How to change your goldfish’s tank water
Water changes are an essential aspect of proper goldfish care. In this post, we explain how often you should do a water change, how much water to change each time, and tell you some of the most common water change mistakes to avoid! Read more…
10. Lighting: Do goldfish need an aquarium light?
11. Temperature: What is a suitable goldfish tank temperature?
12. Breeding: How to breed goldfish
Best-selling books on goldfish care:
- Sunken Gardens: A Step-by-Step Guide to Planting Freshwater Aquariums
- Ocean Coloring Books for kids: Coloring Book for Girls Doodle Cutes: The Really Best Relaxing Colouring Book For Girls 2017 (Cute Kids Coloring Books Ages 2-4, 4-8, 9-12)
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Dover Thrift Editions)
- Freshwater Aquariums For Dummies
- Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist